The Stinky Village
The earliest written mention of Smrdáky dates back to 1436. Originally, the settlement was known as Nová Ves. Smrdáci means “Stinkers” – as the farmers from the area with strange-smelling springs were called by villagers from neighbouring towns when they met at regional fairs. Smrdáky is first referred to as a spa town in writing in 1617. The therapeutic use of its mineral springs has been documented since 1740. From 1832 to 1883, Jozef Vietoris, who owned the land surrounding the spring, had the first spa house built. In 1839 he also had an imposing mansion built for his family, whose Classical gateway became the symbol for the spa. The spa park, with its rare shrubbery, was created by draining the nearby swamps. Spanning 16 hectares, the park remains a popular relaxation area for Smrdáky’s guests.